I've taken on a lot of work to pay the bills, including the bills that keep piling up in relation to this move. Plus, I have to sell off our stuff. The day Michael left, we went to start the moped and it wouldn't start with the ignition. It's worked fine for over 2 years, but as soon as I go to market the damn thing, it appears the battery died. I have found someone to help me fix it (thanks, Ron). The car just passed 60,000 miles - I need to take it in. I must continue my battle with Verizon and hope the same thing doesn't happen with Cox in 4 months (long story). I've run credit reports, packed our winter stuff and sent it off for storage (thanks, mom), and packed things we wanted and sent them off to the islands.
All of the below have also had to happen or are still happening. Most of it needed a bunch of clarification to get right. I explain this less to whine (although I am allowed to whine a little bit) than to show you what can go into such a move lest you think you want to follow in our footsteps (like life on Jacumba, you have to really want it).
The Worker:
What did he need?
- The job in paradise.
- A bunch of paperwork to Labour (submitted by the hiring company). Over 2 months to receive the thankfully-approved work permit (placeholder), which went to the employer.
- 10 days to receive the paperwork via Fed-X.
- The bio page of his passport.
- 2 separate passport photos.
- Proof of clear criminal record from the FBI because the local Sheriff's office wouldn't do it (which means fingerprints).
- Because we were also in another country in the past 10 years, we had to jump through hoops to get something from the sheriff's office on-island. We couldn't have done it without someone on the ground there (thanks, Popcorn).
- A doctor's visit - 3 tests (tetanus, worms - poop sample!, syphilis) + paperwork confirming a complete physical.
- A roundtrip plane ticket. Return must be to the U.S. mainland, even if you have no plans to go back there.
- 3 days of shopping for some island clothes, sandals, hard-to-get items.
- 2 trips back to Tortola to Labour to get the actual work permit (after he made Immigration happy) - he's got 1 more to go.
The Spouse (dependent):
![]() |
| No seriously, are we there yet? |
What do I need?
- Letter from The Worker petitioning immigration to let me come.
- A certified copy of my birth certificate.
- A certified copy of my marriage certificate.
- A copy of the The Worker's job letter and a couple of pay stubs (hence Michael's 3rd trip to Tortola).
- The bio page of my passport.
- 2 separate passport photos.
- Proof of clear criminal record from FBI (more fingerprints) & St. Kitts' police.
- Medical - 3 tests (tetanus, worms, syphilis) + paperwork confirming a complete physical.
- If you've got a kid going to school, they'd need to get several vaccinations with boosters.
- Shopping (I hate shopping) for things like makeup, sandals, island clothes.
- Roundtrip plane ticket back to the U.S.
The pets:I'm sure this is worth it:
- 2 rabies shots that have to be at least 4 months apart.
- A leukemia vaccination + booster 1 month after the 1st shot.
- A titer test (to confirm the animals don't have rabies) - takes up to 4 weeks for results.
- FVRCPP vaccine.
- A microchip that can be read by their scanners.
- Internal parasite treatment (like Revolution).
- Application of importation to the Agriculture Dept. (ahead of time).
- A health certificate by the local vet.
- The USDA (in CA) must endorse the vet's health certificate, and then we have 10 days to get to our destination or it expires.
- Luckily 2 animals of the same species can fit in 1 carry-on bag, and you pay that 1 fee, but make sure your plane accepts pets in the cabin for where you're going (smaller planes usually don't). We have to fly to St. Thomas on the big plane and then plan our plane rez's for days when the ferries run and confirm we get there before the last ferry leaves. Then we get to go to Tortola to check in the animals, and on to Virgin Gorda to collapse in sheer relief and exhaustion.
![]() |
| Better than doing it while driving! |
I can tell you that about 2 things on this list were necessary to move to St. Kitts. That's right - only two.
![]() |
| Yes, please. |
So again, am I excited? No, I'm not. But get out of my way once we're all on the island because I am so doing a jig.
This will be Michael and me together.



.jpeg)



No comments:
Post a Comment