Sunday, August 3, 2014

Trudging and Cuddling

Before we get to what we've been up to for 1 1/2 weeks, let's take in today's vista from our fourth hike at Tom's Thumb in the McDowell Mountains. We were a little worried that it might be buggy, like last time, since it had just rained. Yes - rained. Hallelujah!



Not only did it rain, but it cooled off by 30 degrees. We were able to sleep with the a/c off and the windows open, and at noon on Sunday it was only 86 degrees. Can you believe it? We couldn't either, but we decided to take advantage of it and hit the trails. Not only was it not buggy at all (except for some big black ants that bit), but there was also no one there. This trail is so popular there are 3 parking areas, and yet there were only 4 cars there. Yay!


There were quite a number of wash out areas. Thanks to months of no rain, the ground is very dry and hard, so we get temporary raging creeks/rivers every time it pours. And trails get eroded. We did our best to tread lightly and not make it worse.


I've taken pictures of this hike before, but it's always different. That's what's so great about it.  Either storms bring in dust and leave it hanging in the air, or they push out the yuck and allow us endless views. Today, it was the latter.  Add clouds for ever-changing shadows.









Get it? Michael's thumb in front of Tom's Thumb?




Another great hike. We (I) really needed it. I hadn't exercised in almost 2 weeks. Why? Because we did it again. Only this time we took in 6 kittens. This would be our 3rd batch but the most we tried to handle at one time and the oldest. They'd had a rough 12 weeks. They'd been born in someone's house but then released. Picked up again and put in a home that caught fire after a lightning strike. Then they were brought to a vet's office where they were neutered, and then brought to our place.

One kitty bounced back immediately, was playful and friendly, and was immediately adopted out. The remaining five consisted of 2 hissing, pretty feral kittens, and 3 others that couldn't shake off the anesthesia they'd been given. They couldn't hold food down, didn't want to eat, or couldn't wake up and dropped a lot of weight they didn't have. So much, they became skeletal. It was terrifying. I spent 24/7 with them, worried they weren't going to make it, all the while trying to get them to stop being so scared and hostile of humans. It was a tall order, but by Day 5, they had all turned a corner. I've never been so relieved in my life. By Day 8, I had the most feral of all of them sitting in my lap, purring with his tongue hanging out. Yes! And that's why I do it.



Once again, our cat Jack stepped up to the plate.





After our hike, we discovered our second calico was adopted - yay! She'll be gone by next weekend, so we'll have to get our cuddles in now. (She's yelling at Michael who's cooking in the kitchen as I type this.) Hopefully the other 4 will find homes before they end up at Petco competing with others next weekend (we'll only leave them for the day). I'm not sure how they'll do in that environment.


Once gone, I think that will do it for us for the summer. We're pooped!

No comments:

Post a Comment