Sunday, April 27, 2014

The Weekend's Over Already? Whaa.

So I think most of the destruction phase of the median is over. It certainly caused a lot of hoopla.



They took out some really nice fountains, the sculpture portions I'm guessing will be put back eventually. Then they leave this ugly thing.


Like the rest of the project, I'll hold my judgment and see how it all turns out in a few months.




Friday night we headed to Grapeables for some reggae music by Walter Richardson. I wouldn't exactly bill him as reggae (nor does he really - he calls himself a "storyteller"), although he certainly looked the part. He had an interesting mix of music styles and a great smile.



When his friend came in on his guitar, and later someone else on the drum, the foot tapping and head bobbing really started. It was supposed to be over at 10:30pm, but they (and we) were having so much fun, it went until 11:30pm (making it a 4-hour jam). I love when that happens.

You'll note that the last time we were there, we whined about all the kids - we must not have been the only ones because, starting on May 2nd, Friday & Saturdays after 8pm will be for those over 21 only. Thank you.

Then a storm front moved through, it got cold (50s at night/60s during the day) - we even got a little rain. I refused to leave the house on Saturday. As a matter of fact, I stayed in my pajamas until 1pm, took a hot shower, and put on a different (warmer) pair of pajamas to finish out the day. We ate a huge tub of popcorn for dinner and went to bed. Sunday, the air was still full of dust from the wind (my eyes are bloodshot, Michael's nose is running). After Michael made an omelet the size of Ohio, we knew we had to try to get some exercise in, so headed for the Fountain Overlook Trail. Can you see the haze?



We were followed by a turkey vulture for a bit, which was unnerving because I'd just received our life insurance policy 2 months early and gotten an unsolicited letter from a funeral planning service, suggesting I start planning. A friend told me not to worry, these things come in threes, and then this vulture followed me. Hmmmmm.



One bird I've had on my must-see list is a roadrunner. Even when we lived here last time, we rarely saw them, so I always thought it was cool when we did. Since our return, I've heard them every once in awhile, but they've been surprisingly absent on all our outings. Until now. I saw two Friday, and Michael saw one. Today, one ran out in front of both of us.



Not sure about the resemblance. Real life road runners don't sound like the cartoon version either. You can play all their calls here. They're quite distinct.

This is going to be a long week of work, it's sort of feast or famine for me, so I'll be ready for some Cinco De Mayo fun next weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment