Saturday, March 22, 2014

Yep, It's Spring

Some of you seem to still be under snow or rain, but it's still sunny and in the 80s here. If it's spring, that mean there are babies. Baby animals. Unfortunately, it also means there are orphans. Liberty Wildlife takes in birds and bunnies, and I'm guessing other animals as well (wind storms and bullets are top contenders creating a lot of orphans). I've been wanting to volunteer, but wanted to talk to them first to see if they had specific days they were having trouble filling. They were, Tuesday through Thursday, so if anyone else wants to join in, you can sign up online. They're also desperate for funds (they don't get any $ from the gov't), so you can buy some raffle tickets from their website and help them out.

Did you know that most raptors will get attached to a caregiver (feeder)? Once an eagle or owl (etc.) likes you, they really like you, and they can no longer be released. The good news is that they can be fostered by unreleasable birds. One owl has fostered 88 orphans, all of which have been released back into the wild. Love that.



Here's a turkey vulture/buzzard (I think). Did you know that these birds are the only ones that can smell? They've got a vent in their beak. This bird seemed smaller than the ones I've seen around, but the handler had him open his wings, and he was definitely as big as I remembered.


We see a lot of peregrine falcons around, but I didn't realize how delicate they look up close. So soft!


I'm definitely in.

Next up, we headed to Fountain Park and attended the Kite Flying Festival, sponsored by the Pakistan Information and Cultural Organization (PICO). Kite flying is big in a lot of cultures, including the Caribbean (there it's an Easter activity).





We were told to wear yellow in solidarity, so we did.We bought our kites there for $5.



Melissa's got some air (and she got a lot of exercise).



So did Michael (the boy was determined).



I tried my hand, too (getting mine higher than Michael's, which meant he had to compete and win).


Ah, to be a kid again.

No comments:

Post a Comment