So earlier in the week (and today), we had our first (and second) dust storm of the season (and since our return). We don't normally get these until summer, usually as part of a thunderstorm, but it seems to be a weird 2014 for everyone, so why should we be any different? For anyone who wonders, there isn't a person here that calls these things "haboobs," except for the occasional reporter who thinks we're in the Middle East. We don't call hurricanes "cyclones" either because we're not in the Pacific. How 'bout we stay true to the region? I have to admit I love these things. I drove in front of one once - all the way home (what that looked like in my rear-view mirror, I can't even tell you) - but they can be incredibly
dangerous. Be careful!
Saturday morning, I went to orientation at
Liberty Wildlife. What a cool place. I would have taken pictures of the tour, but there was a sign up saying it was against federal law to take pictures of wildlife in cages (or something like that). I could take pictures of animals "under control" on the arm of a handler though. ??!! I googled this and didn't find anything on it. Shrug. I've grabbed a few pics from the internet.
As soon as we walked into the place, we got to see a long-time volunteer trying to force feed the tiniest baby bunny. And if you think hummingbirds are small, you should see them when they're babies.
I'm volunteering to provide one day of orphan care until September, helping to feed and care for the birds and bunnies brought in to the center until they can be released. Apparently the success rate for releases is about 45%, which is better than most rescue centers. It may seem silly to some to bother saving a hummingbird, dove, or rabbit when nature is going to cull them anyway, but that's the point. Nature should be culling them, not humans. Eighty percent of the animals brought into the center are there thanks to human activity. At some point we have to stop taking from the planet and give back a little - and learn to share.
 |
They have a # of American Kestrels (a falcon) They're small, but they're lethal to other birds. |
One side of the facility is dedicated to birds that can never be released thanks to injury or imprinting. I hadn't realized that even crows/ravens can imprint onto a human in their early years. And who the heck shoots a bald eagle? One eagle is in there because the human that raised it didn't realize the bird needed to eat bones to grow its own bones. The eagle is now bowlegged and has a caved-in chest, which makes it hard to breathe, because its bones couldn't support its weight (about 8 lbs - I know! A 6-foot-winged bird seems heavier, right?!). At one point during our walk-thru, all the eagles started making lots of noise. I can assure you that it didn't sound anything like what you hear in the car commercials or the Stephen Colbert Show
intro (that would be the call of a hawk). Eagles
sound more like seagulls.
On the other side of the place are the birds being fostered by other birds and birds learning to fly and hunt so they can be released.
 |
| Um, eew. |
The hardest part, from the perspective of a vegetarian, will be the feedings. Most birds are fed frozen rodents, some of the closer-to-release-date birds get live vermin. Yuck. I'm hoping to stick with worms and goop for the babies.
I'm really looking forward to getting started in a week or two. There are a lot of ways to help, so if you want to volunteer, just signup
online.
If you have a wildlife emergency, call 480-998-5550. They're permitted to help any native Arizona wildlife but don't have the room for animals like coyotes, bobcats, etc. - yet! They've bought property to expand, so
donate, donate, donate so they can actually build on that land.
Afterwards, I grabbed Michael, and we went to check out
Singh Farms. We knew we'd arrive too late to actually get dibs on most produce, but we'd heard it was just a nice place to walk around. It is! It's right off the freeway (and about 25 minutes from Fountain Hills), but what an oasis. It smelled sooooooo good! No, really. I can't describe how fragrant the place was. If you're in the area, you must go sometime.
And then we hit the
Tempe art festival. Did I mention I love spring in Arizona?
No comments:
Post a Comment