Sunday, June 21, 2015

Still here but not for long.

I'll bet some of you are wondering what happened to me. Well, I'm swamped with trying to do last-minute things that aren't exactly going well. I have been getting one hike in each week to restore my sanity, but you've seen all that before. So what else to say?

I'm two weeks out from departure and trying not to panic about the stuff that's still outstanding. Unexpected and expensive things happen every time we go through this process, so you think I'd be used to it by now, but I always hope that my extensive experience will make it go smoother, but nooOOOooo.
 

Yes, I sound just like that.

Experience doesn't seem to have anything to do with it. Sh** happens. I do know, however, that despite all the setbacks, I'll get 'er done. Somehow. Am I excited?


Every time, I get really stressed out, I work out...

My month is up at Amenzone - boo.
... or hit a trail, and that helps me to reset. Of course, it's snake season again, so one day I caught this guy terrorizing whatever was in that hole.


Then I hiked the Dixie Mine Trail and ran across a baby rattlesnake that didn't have any rattlers yet to warn me. Luckily I saw him before I put my foot down. I don't think I've done that trail once without running into a rattlesnake (or 3). I think I'm done with that one.


This weekend, I hit my favorite trail, Tom's Thumb, for the umpteenth time. You'll recall that the last time we went, we saw some falcons nesting. Well, they had their little chickadees, so I decided to do the Overlook Trail at the top to give them some privacy.


Where most people go to the right, I went to the left, so I was on my own -without a cell-phone signal - and kept seeing snake swirlies in the dirt.


Between those and some insects that sounded like and were as loud as buzz saws (no, they weren't cicadas), I started getting the heebie jeebies. I'd think I was paying attention to where I was walking, but then a lizard would dodge out and scare the crap out of me. I made it without incident though and had a nice trek.



Yes, it was hazy out there - there are number of distant wildfires going on.

One thing I love about hiking here is that no matter how brown or dry it is (or how hot), you can usually find some color. Something blooming. Unlike winter in snowy climates where everything looks dead for 6+ months.


Ok, now I'm ready to try to knock off the last of my must-do's. Hopefully they're ready to be knocked off. I could use some luck.

Thanks, Morgan.

2 comments:

  1. All the best to you two on this new journey.
    Hopefully there is another book in there somewhere.
    Enjoy, William

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. William! Great to hear from you. Yes, I'm hoping to get another one out there too - once I have a moment to relax and find my sense of humor again. Soon we'll be neighbors again! I hope all is well (and that you get some rain!).

      Delete